Plan to divide Colorado Springs into more than 600 evacuation zone launches
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) — A new evacuation plan that divides Colorado Springs into 665 zones was officially launched Monday.
The new program, COS Ready, simplifies the location of evacuation alerts. It also serves as a way to see which areas are under immediate threat. The plan passed in July with a unanimous vote and some objections from the community.
“It’s a step in the right direction,” said Chief Randy Royal of the Colorado Springs Fire Department, “it’s going to help us handle evacuations more appropriately, it’s going to be more flexible, and it’s going to give citizens and visitors the information they need to be safe in our community.”
This comes a decade after the Waldo Canyon fire. 11 News asked why it took so long, and the city said the technology was not yet available. Firefighters added that they have been working since then to divide the city into different zones. They went from no area to more than 70, but information about their location was only available to authorities.
Now the 665 zones are there for the public to see.
The Royal Chief also said that this system also benefits the police and they can now place evacuation notices and shelter-in-place orders through the app.
Here’s how it works:
The new system has three stages, all of which can be viewed on the COS Ready website.
-Sign up for alerts
-Know your area
-Make a plan
As always, you can sign up for alerts through Peak Alerts.
The new part of the system is knowing your zone, which is step 2 on the website.
On the site, you can fill in your address to find your zone and all the alerts relating to it.
From there, it’s up to you to make a plan to get out, using the map’s evacuation information.
Copyright 2022 KKTV. All rights reserved.